Sunday, September 12, 2010

Art as Business: Networking with other artists

 I paid a visit to a couple of galleries in Copenhagen some years ago. One of the interesting galleries had an artist on their list that I had been on a selection jury with. I called him and chatted a bit and ok:d that I could refer to knowing him when talking to the gallery owner. She agreed to see me and half a year later I participated in a group exhibition at the gallery.

When exhibiting at a gallery I was asked if I could give them a tip about some interesting artist. I gave them the name and website of a friend and colleague (who I consider to be a very good artist). He got a separate exhibition.

Some years ago someone who had been on the board of an artist organization with me asked, “You do screen print on paper, don’t you? I’m putting together a new program for an art school; could I suggest you as a possible screen printing teacher?” I thus became a guest teacher at Formakademin where I teach since 2008.

Never underestimate knowing other artists; they can warn you about bad galleries and help you with good ones, recommend you for jobs, give you inside information, share technical knowledge, become collaborative partners and supportive friends. But this is a sensitive subject to write about and that is the reason why I got stuck last year when I tried to write about networking with other artists - you don't want anyone to suspect you could be a calculating bastard, would you? Something to keep in mind; you should never do things just to get to a good network, to get things for yourself – you should do it mainly by other reasons. The contacts you gain are just bonus. Dale Carneige said “You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you


The kitchen at KKV, artist run collective workshops, where I've been doing soooo much voluntary work

Let's stop beating around the bush: how/where do you network with other artists?
  1. Art School
  2. Shared studio space, studio with neighbour artists
  3. Art Organizations
  4. collective workshops
  5. artist run galleries
  6. Take a course for artists
  7. Participate in group-shows
  8. Give workshops for fellow artists
  9. Lecture
  10. Just approach some artist you would like to know 
  11. Internet
Ah, that helped a lot. 
Did it? Wouldn't you like yo know some more? To not just get a list, but some personal REAL experience and stories? 

Thought so. Next Sunday I will share with you what I've done myself + some dos and don'ts

4 comments:

gracia said...

Such beautiful light in the KKV kitchen. I'd happily sit there and listen and learn.

Look forward to reading your list extended. I've tried all and practice most.

Anna Wilson-Patterson said...

I'm new here, my studio includes a public gallery at the front. I am enjoying reading my way through your blog.

Anna Horn said...

Jag hittade din blogg igår och har blivit frälst. Har suttit och streckläst intervjuer, art as business-serien och sporadiska inlägg. jag avslutade min estetiska gymnasieutbildning i somras och har under året jobbat på mig utveckling inom måleri. Vissa dagar är självförtroendet på topp och jag är övertygad om att jag ska ta över världen med min konst, vissa dagar undrar jag hur jag kan vara så naiv att jag tror att jag ska kunna överleva på min konst. Din blogg har gett mig någon sorts skön balans, där jag tänker hur jag i praktiken ska jobba mig framåt, hur en med olika metoder kan skapa nätverk, utveckla sig personligt mm. "start where you are", så simpelt men så svårt att hålla i huvudet. tack för en inspirerande blogg! den kommer vara till stor hjälp och stöd, det känner jag på mig.

Alexandra Hedberg said...

Anna, vad kul att jag kan hjälpa dig!