Sunday, August 30, 2009

Art as Business: Commissions III


So – I need a boat and different bait for small fish and big fish. A lot of small fish will give the same amount of food as one big fish – but it is the big fish you can boast about. But remember not to underestimate the small fish: it can be just the bait to catch that big fish….






Right now I am waiting to start painting a minor mural (photo montage above) and waiting for a board to take a decision on another commission. I am starting to sketch on ideas for two follow up commissions (minor) and in the first talks for another one (nothing sure). I’ve been calculating – and these incomes together with incomes from teaching/giving workshops will give me enough money for the rest of the year – and probably January as well. This is a dangerous moment for me – I am now very tempted to do what I really want to do: my own art only and nothing else. But it takes 6-12 months from first contact till finished commission so if I do not continue these strategies I’ll be without incomes from commissions within half a year.
SO: to make sure all this “about fishing for commissions” is not going to be just words (I’ve told myself some of these things 3 years ago) I’ve set some deadlines.
  • website for commissioned art only – September 29
  • sand blasted glass samples (mounted) – September 29
  • 3 new contacts within tenant owners’ associations by mid October
  • 3 Architect firms contacted (contacts? think think! and ask ask!) by mid October
  • On the 4th of October I will report my progress (commissions) here on my blog
I’m right now participating in an exhibition about commissioned Art in Schools. And I’ve made special business cards for that exhibition which will also continue in spring in another place. We (a group of artists) are planning a meeting with potential clients the 29 of September to present what we do. I will join VSBK as soon as possible.
I keep saying that Public Commissions are jobs that I take to finance my “real art”. Yes - what about my main goal? Ah the BEEEEEST galleries. Fame and Glory.
It’s a bit complicated ...It’s like chess ... It's like a mine field ... It's a Sisyphean challenge...
... I am avoiding it ...


The Artists's guide to Public art could be worth reading, but it's probably focusing on North America.

14 comments:

Alexandra Hedberg said...

I know. I wasn't very fun today ... but some days you're just serious. And fishing is serious stuff...

Elisabeth Dunker said...

Den du, skulle vara snygg att ha på väggen! Gillar den Alexandra.

Laura said...

excellent as usual.. especially the insight about how easy it is to get comfortable and not look ahead...thank you.

Marchi Wierson said...

I agree. fishing is serious. It was a great post alexandra. I really appreciate it!!!!!

●• Thereza said...

i love the metaphors of the bigger and smaller fish. just like how your thought process works my friend! :)
and the illustrations go beautifully with the text!
i'm off to greece in the next hour yay!! catch up nest week.

Lotte said...

Looks great on the wall...And like to read your Sunday words...:)

Christine Clemmensen said...

Jeg ved godt jeg siger det samme igen og igen - men du er så cool! Det kommer til at lykkes for dig, det her.You make a plan, and you stick to it = success! Det er super-spændende at følge dig, og meget inspirerende. Onwards and upwards. Jeg tror på dig :-)
uh - og fantastisk flot vægudsmykning.

Veja cecilia said...

härligt med en fisketur, dessutom har du ju god fiskelycka just nu:) så skönt med sådär konkreta mål!

Rynke said...

Your art looks super over there!

I can't thank you enough for these series, they are so helpful to me!

Alexandra Hedberg said...

Everyone!
I'm so happy if I can help others by sharing my own strategies and experiences. Besides - it helps me as well sharing them: it gives me that little extra pressure that I need ... I know you are watching me!

Lori said...

Thank you for this! So helpful. btw, Love your wall

aimee said...

fishing IS serious business. and business itself is serious business! you are wise to focus on the stuff that isn't so fun - it has to be done!

Anairam said...

I liked your fishing analogy. Also I like that you are so motivated and have a plan with deadlines (good advice for everyone doing any kind of freelance work!)

Kitty Kilian said...

Yep, I agree with all of the above comments. You write really well, and your illustrations are great. I love the mean looking boxing lady of last week.