Tuesday, March 25, 2008

the painting

Elisabeth had chosen to be an artist, not someone’s wife just making nice watercolour postcards. She fought hard to make a living as a painter, but sold best when she painted flowers and children – as women should. She preferred painting portraits though. One day she was talking to a friend about how hard it is to paint.
Her friend said: It’s not that hard.
Yes, it is! said Elisabeth
No, it’s not!
Make me one then.
I will.

So she painted a little landscape in oil for Elisabeth. Elisabeth was so impressed by the result that she framed the painting.

That painting hanged in our living room when I grew up. And isn’t it a nice little painting? my father always asked after retelling me the story. Elisabeth Tapper was his mother’s sister. She was born in the 1870’s in a wealthy German family. Nowadays the painting made by Elisabeth’s friend hangs in my living room. And I’m just waiting for my son to get old enough to be told the story.

1 comment:

Esti said...

Wasn't Picasso who used to say: "let the muses come while I'm at work" or something similar (I know the sentence in Spanish...) Meaning: no matter how talented you are, you have to work hard at it.
I say this, because it seems as Elisabeth's friend was talented enough and only had to sit down to it.
A nice landscape painting...