Saturday, March 08, 2008

the dress

It's in the 30's. Mia is making a dress for her daughter in law, Irene. She makes the dress right out of her head - not following any pattern. The embroidery goes easy. She makes it on free hand - starts in one end and works to the other side without any guidelines. Mia has an eye for the aesthetic and a feeling for the plastic.

Mia was also painting when she had the time. She was my maternal grandfather's mother - and Irene my grandmother. Irene was petite (157 cm) and I'm 171 cm - but the dress fits me. I've been wearing this dress now and then - when it's back in fashion - during the years. So different than buying something new - it has a story. And I feel like part of it.

11 comments:

Camilla Engman said...

Vilken underbar klänning och historia! Jag kan tänka mej att du är urtjusig i den.

Esti said...

thanks for commenting on my blog. You are welcome anytime to say what you like or don't. You are such a talented person.

Thanks for sharing that wonderful dress story. The dress is very nice!

mansuetude said...

absolutely wonderful. the story of your tenderness towards it, too.

tina.t said...

åh så vackert!

Andrea Tachezy said...

wonderful dress and great story! Do you have some more?

marie-louise said...

Vilken sällsam historia. Och det gör att de som inte lever längre ändå finns kvar, genom din berättelse...
Man ser mötet mellan dessa två, förväntan hos henne som klänningen sys till och så nu, när den är din...
Tack, det var en fin start på en ny dag!

Alexandra Hedberg said...

Andrea: story or dress?

I have both.

Andrea Tachezy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andrea Tachezy said...

So much the better of both! I love these family treasures - stories and things with a private history.

Alexandra Hedberg said...

Andrea - I plan to, now and then, share the stories I have around some to me very special objects. Family treasures as you called it (very true!)

asphalt and air said...

this post is most wonderful.
both the story and the dress are lovely.
i am glad to hear that you wear the dress from time to time.
what a treasure!