Sunday, May 08, 2011

the kids' murals 1 & 2





I must say I'm very happy with the results of this pedagogic mural project - especially considering that the kids are just 15 years old. It worked even better this year than last year. I think the explanation is both that they school kids had seen what was made last year and therefore grasped the idea faster  - and because I improved my teaching and especially the organisation of the painting day. I wouldn't mind doing this kind of project every year - and keep improving! I love the challenge to get people to understand the power of simplifying; clean shapes and limited colours. The idea becomes so much more important ...


They were just given some specific colours to use - and not allowed to use the red, green and yellow you can see in the first mural with the traffic light. But I told the boys that of course you can break the rules if you have a very good idea and reason (one of them had secretly gotten the coloured papers that they really wanted to use ... I think that shows initiative!). I told them to make their suggestion both with the subtle colours they were supposed to use - and with the strong colours they wanted to have. And present both suggestions ...


[tomorrow: mural 3 & 4]

3 comments:

when skies are grey said...

It turned out great! I particularly like the forth picture down,as an image it can stand on it's own nicely :)

annamaria potamiti said...

It looks awesome Alexandra- Well done both to you and the kids!

gracia said...

Walls in other buildings must be ever so envious. And here's to a little breaking of rules when fitting.