Monday, December 10, 2012

retake; process leading to light signs


So here we go again - back to my account of the long process that started more than a year ago (read first part of the process and second part):
November 2011 
As I mentioned before I decided to keep the transparent plastic as a mask - instead of a paper one originally intended - as static electricity kept it in place.
When I spray painted I then got this unexpected effect - the plastic curled and created like a frame!  
I liked this a lot; it became more iconic, but at the same time kind of trashy
fake, plastic, baroque
I had to take the plastic away though. (In this room and with that light it was still ok, but not as good as with the plastic on)
- 
Back in the studio - boring.
boring
boring
boring

- Maybe I should try to recreate that wrapping, that plastic golden frame, following the shapes? Maybe I should go for more instead of less? I had started to paint watercolour on canvas to get away from the frame and the "picture on the wall"-feeling - but maybe the solution should be not to have the frame as a necessity, but to use it as a central part of the art piece - to make a statement with it? To use it to support what I was trying to say with the painting?

- But how could I recreate it in a lasting way?
(this was still november 2012)

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

It definitely reminded me of gold leaf religious paintings of Mary. Hoping you can work it in somehow-I really liked it!