Wednesday, October 13, 2010

and the commission?


Ah... I've not made much progress there. The tricky thing here is the limitations:
- the wall can only carry 10kg/m2
- it should take wind, water, sun, time  - and hits (vandalism) and preferably graffiti
- be movable (no painting direct on the wall)
- the cost is set (no more, no less)
- work for kids age 6-11 and preferably their teachers
- It should in some way be connected to the art piece my colleague is making for the stairs.
- the windows are taking up some wall space and "disturbing" my canvas
- the doors will be orange!

So I have a vague idea (not this photo!) and I am now in the process of checking what it could cost with materials, lifts, deliveries, montage etc. I'm kind of working backwards - from possible materials to possible ideas. My major problem is that my own art is not intended for children and it is based on a more intimate meeting than the one you have outdoors. I absolutely don't want to make something that is far from myself this time - and then getting more commissions based on that.

10 comments:

We Blog Artists said...

WOW...that's a toughy!
So hwo will you or have you created something THAT large if you can't paint on the wall...can you adhere it to the wall with bolts?
Commissions are where we artists have to be flexible...but moving away from one's style and preferences can be hard...
:-) Sure you'll work it out!
HUGS
Char.x

Brian Sylvester said...

Alexandra,

Yes, I agree - I'm sure you will be able to find the middle ground and pull it all off, but it sounds like a nightmare and headache right now. Nothing like a good exercise in patience and humility, right?

Take care,
Brian

aimee said...

good luck, alexandra! i know you'll figure it out.

Mary-Laure said...

I love following artists' creative processes, so thank you for this post. Keep us updated.

Anonymous said...

YOU ARE IN A TOTAL FIX, Alexandra!!!!!!! Damn, what to do, what to do????!!!! I know you'll have some kind of *creative* breakthrough!!!! YOU always do!! Let us know what happens....can't wait! love, CARLA

Christine Clemmensen said...

Det ser superfedt ud! Der er mange behov der skal mødes kan jeg godt se. Jeg er sikker på du får det hele til at gå op. Lykke til :-) Og godt gået :-)

Unknown said...

That sounds like a awful lot of restrictions. I cross fingers for you. I'm sure you will make it.

when skies are grey said...

Thanks you as usual for bringing us along through the process. I know you will think of a compromise and it will be great to see it. Thanks so much for your sweet comment on my blog, made me happy to come back :)!

●• Thereza said...

you will know what to do. again, go go my friend!
the photo looks ace btw

gracia said...

So many things to consider when making a work for an out of doors public space. I am eager to see what you do, and in the meantime wish you much good luck.